UptownGirl77

Monday, January 26, 2004

Friday night was TC's baby shower at KC's. JH was there, and I was able to guilt Ru into going too. She brought JD, who is taller than me. :P

It's nice to see everyone, but you really don't get to spend one-on-one time with anyone. Just bite-sized moments really.

Saturday, I finished reading Cocktails for Three. It's about a trio of thirtysomethings, career women... It was fluffy, but fun. Now I'm reading another "chick lit" book called Up and Out, by Ariella Papa. She's my age, maybe two or three years older, and she's wearing glasses very similar to mine in the picture at the back of her book. I took that as a sign to give her book a chance. :) The jury's still out on that one. The next book on my list is Gatecrashers, by Madeleine Wickham. I think it's about a mother-daughter team of gold diggers who go to funerals to hit on rich widowers. Should be amusing.

I haven't read Mrs. Dalloway or The Hours. I tried reading To The Lighthouse, which is another Virginia Woolf book, a few years ago. A very dear friend of mine was doing his Ph.D. in English lit at Mac, and I took his book recommendations very seriously. I guess, at the time, I found Woolf's books just exhausting to read. I was 20, and hadn't been exposed to anything like "stream of consciousness," or whatever they call it. Maybe I'll give Lighthouse another try. :)

Sunday, we saw Big Fish! I LOVED it. Even The Boy said he was fighting back tears at the end. Beautiful story.

Also Sunday, I bought myself a new perfume. Don't you just love perfume? I could leave my house looking like an absolute bag of dump, but I would still need to spritz my neck, wrists, and behind my ears.

I went to Sears, boyfriend in tow (his opinion is valid, I suppose), intending to buy my first ever bottle of Chanel No. 5. I thought that every woman needed to own one bottle of Chanel No. 5 in her life. It smelled a lot different than I'd remembered. And The Boy hated it. He said it smelled like his mother, which I know is not true, because his mom wears things like Chantilly. Anyway, we went to a few different counters, smelling as we went, until we were accosted by a tall, thin, perfectly made-up blonde, asking if I wanted to try Escada's new fashion fragrance, "Island Kiss." Hmph. Not really, but okay. I hated it. Fruity, springy, it almost hurt my nose. Of course, The Boy loved it and spent the next few minutes with the little tester card pressed against his nose.

It was either Island Kiss or Cabaret. The stuff that smells like patchouli. Anyway, I gave in and got Island Kiss. And now I love it. Grudgingly. I also, however, got two sample bottles of Cabaret. I think I'll get that for myself for my birthday. :)

Almost better than the perfume itself is the bottle, and Cabaret had the best bottle by far. I know you understand. :)

I'm sorry to have blabbed at such length over something as trivial as perfume. It felt good though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home