UptownGirl77

Monday, July 26, 2004

I was really good about the whole thing. Until The Boy got upset. When his feelings are hurt by his own family, there's a big problem that needs solving.

I guess the next thing that happened after I wrote last week was that we couldn't decide whether or not to go over for dinner on Saturday. Friday, when he was at work, his mom called and they had a yelling match. He finally let it all out, how much it hurt him that they were choosing to ignore his feelings (and mine) on the issue, and how it was just utterly inappropriate. Also, there was the issue of the exaggerated connection: Everyone would maintain that she was such a big part of the family for so long, and they were so close, blah blah blah. Not true. In reality, she would spend a week there, maybe two or three times a year, when she would come to town to visit The Boy. Other than that, he visited her. So this big connection that I thought they had doesn't even exist, aside from the images that they've built up in their own heads. That's almost more infuriating than if she had lived there for years. I don't know. It's such a mess.

Anyway, so he tells his mom that we probably won't go over for dinner, since he was still really upset about it, and didn't want to hear people talk about her, etc.

Oh, the other thing he was pissed at was the fact that C (his bro), called to ask him to order a video for him, and said something along the lines of, "Hey may... It's C. You know, the brother who won't be in your wedding party?" That pissed both of us off. We never said who is or isn't going to be in our wedding party, with the exception of his sisters, who TOLD me they were my bridesmaids. Never mind the fact that I've got friends, and two sisters of my own to think of! They all so selfish sometimes. Anyway, The Boy made it clear to him that whoever he heard that from was talking out of their asses. What was said was that, since his two sisters would be bridesmaids, I would like my brother and uncle (S, who is more like a brother) to be groomsmen. I would like us to have the most important people in our lives be in the party, and I think I'll have a hard time making them realize that it's our wedding, not just a party that they get to go to, and that they're not automatically entitled to be a participant. God it sucks that they're all so young and have never experienced this before.

What was said was that the people who can't be in the wedding party would have some other important job to do, like a reading, or attend the guest book, or hand out programs, etc. There's tons to do, so it won't be hard to find jobs for everyone. I just wish they would stop drawing their own conclusions. The Boy never said who would or who wouldn't be in the party, so the fact that his mom and sister were doing this calculation ("Well, T's two, plus A, only leaves two spots, so one of the brothers is going to be left out!"), is ridiculous. We haven't even decided how many attendants we're having, so who told them five? They should all just shut it. :)

Anyway, back to the fight. The Boy was really upset about it, and so was I. I was at R's when he called my cell to tell me about it, and I felt sick for the rest of the day. I just felt horrible for him. So I thought I would probably give him time to cool off and then gently broach the subject. It worked.

Friday night, after work, we went to Chapters and he bought me my Jane magazine (check it out if you haven't already. It's a fashion mag for the real woman, i.e. no super expensive clothes, and lots of interesting articles, not counting Pam Anderson's. Ew.), and a new book called What a Girl Wants by Liz Maverick. I'm liking it so far. You have to like a book that, within the first chapter, has the subject both discovering a dead body in the cubicle next to hers and making out with the investigating detective. It's cute chick lit so far. I'll keep you posted.

Saturday morning, I got up early (read, with him), and asked, "How are you feeling this morning?" in a meaningful way. He said that he wasn't as mad as he was the night before (I knew he would cool down over night.). I said we should probably go to his parents' for dinner. He agreed. He said he would call his mom from work, and patch things up. So he did. She saw his side, and made a decent point: When his ex calls and ASKS if she can come to visit, she puts them in a horrible position. They don't want to hurt her by saying no, and they don't want to hurt us by saying yes. Anyway, he just said it wasn't worth fighting over, so we would be there for dinner. Which we were. It was weird. We walked into the backyard, and The Boy said, "No ex-girlfriends here, are there?" Everyone had a great laugh over that. Then, his mom said, "We said no talking about that, or weddings, so I'll only say one thing: A got really upset because M and J kept calling her T." I LOVED that. :) (His sisters were calling his ex by my name out of habit.) :)

So we had a nice dinner, and I brought the invitations over to show his mom, and she oohed and awwed over them. We left there and went to Shoppers' for snacks. Then, we came back home and watched Bubba Ho-Tep. Seriously, a great movie. Absolutely hilarious. Bruce Campbell kicks SO much ass. I kept missing bits because I was laughing so hard, so we kept having to rewind the DVD. (Not that a DVD is actually re-wound, but you know what I mean.) Great movie.

Sunday, we went to the Ontario Renaissance Festival. It was pretty cool, but I wasn't able to find the two things I most wanted to find: Sealing wax for our invitations and a backgammon set. I thought there would be places to buy things like that, but none of the shops had anything like that in stock. There were other games that I'd never heard of, and they didn't really interest me. The shop that was supposed to have the wax and seals said that their merch hadn't arrived yet! Anyway, we had a great time, and got a horrible sunburn. We were there for four or five hours. The Boy was loving the costumes, obviously, with all the "top boob," (a.k.a. "cleavage") walking around. It was pretty funny actually. Annoying sometimes too though. He kept saying, "You should get a dress like that," and "That dress would look awesome on you!" and, "Let's get married in those clothes!" I don't know about that. Some of the gowns were beautiful, but most were pretty shabby. I loved listening to the employees talk to each other. They used faux accents all the time, and yelled things like, "God save the queen!" to each other. I loved that, and the minstrels. I was born in the wrong time period. I think The Boy's favourite part was the jousting. There was one knight who was actually thrown from his horse. The horse reared up, and fell backwards, on top of the knight! It looked like the horse landed on his leg. Ouch. He got right back on though, and went on to win the tournament. :)

We walked around lots, and I won a free beer on my first try with a crossbow. :) I gave the beer to the lady who taught me to play Quarto. I liked hearing her talk too. She did the accent thing.

After we saw everything we decided to head home. Oh, I forgot to mention that, when we arrived at the fairgrounds and were putting our bags in the trunk, I looked around and saw a woman crying her head off. I looked behind her and saw that she had totally backed into a parked van. I have no idea how it could have happened. The back of her car hit the passenger side of the van, so the passenger in the van couldn't get out. The driver of the car couldn't have been looking at all. I have no idea how it could have happened.

So we left the festival and headed for Toys 'r Us. The Boy bought us a 3-in-1 game set. It's pretty cool: There's backgammon, checkers and chess. :) We played a few games last night. I'm happy to say I'm the backgammon queen. We went to his comic store to finally pick up his three issues of Fangoria, but they had closed his mailbox! He was pretty disappointed, but tried to cover it with sour grapes, saying, "Well, Fango sucks now anyway. I only used to buy it because I felt obligated to since they kept ordering it for me." I think I'll get him a subscription for his birthday, so they'll just send it here. That would be nice. We'll see.

I want to go on What Not to Wear. I SO want a makeover. I SO want people to tell me what would look best on me. I SO want $5,000 to spend on a new wardrobe. I SO want Stacy to teach me how to walk in heels. I SO want to be a size six. *sigh* Alas, I'll have to wait and make myself over when I've got the laptop paid for. Maybe I'll go to Reitman's this weekend and buy a new thing or two. That always makes me feel better: I don't have to spend much, but I feel good wearing new things.

I've been listening to lots of country music lately. I guess working at R's has had an effect on me. I love Paul Brandt's "Leavin'," Sara Evans's "Suds in the Bucket," and Lisa Brokop's "Wildflower."

I've been writing whatever comes to mind, because I didn't want to start working on the web site. Well, now it's 5:07, and the work day is over, so this is Uptown Out. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home