UptownGirl77

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

So, as I was saying, we went home for a little while, so I could make phone calls, and he could relax for the first time in three months. :)

First, I called my dad. Voicemail. Do I leave it on the message? Probably shouldn't. Oh well. "We're ENGAGED!!!" I called my mother. Voicemail. Do I leave it on the message? Probably shouldn't. Oh well. "We're ENGAGED!!!" I called S&K. K answered. I had warned her that if anything happened, they would hear from me on Sunday. She was so excited to hear my voice. I told her, and she said, "Oh, have you talked to your dad yet?" I said no. She said, "He's here!!!" So I got to talk to my dad. That was awesome. He was so happy for us.

After them, I called C. She cried, and I cried, and we did the typical girl thing: "You're the best friend I've ever had. We've been through so much together." I asked her to be my maid of honour on the spot. There's no one else I want to be my MOH. She cried and said that she would be so honoured (he he) to do that for me, and she would do anything she could to make the day perfect. I was so happy that she was so happy. It meant so much to me that my happiness brought her such joy. She said that she and R are doing a lot better now, thanks to my advice. She said it really hit home, and they were able to start picking their battles more discriminately, and I taught them that they have to decide what's more important: Being right or being happy. I'm glad I was able to help. I know they genuinely care for each other. I hope it works out, for her sake.

So she had to go to her parents' and then to work, so we had to cut it off short. Then, I called Ci. She was pretty happy too. Then I called Aunt S. She cried. She was so sweet. She said, "Well, you'll have to depend on all your old aunts to do some of the planning for you." She said she would help in any way she could. Very sweet.

It's funny. Everyone starts off really happy but, when I tell them that we've agreed to get married on the Island, they get even happier. I remember what a conflict it was when G&L got married in Ontario. A lot of people were hurt or just plain disappointed that they couldn't be there. I don't want to do it merely to avoid conflict. I just want my family there. As much of our families as possible. Besides, his mom was totally cool with it, and she even said that we could just have a reception/party here afterward, for the people who can't make it to the wedding. Very cool idea.

Unfortunately, this means that we'll have a guest list a mile long. Like 250 guests at last count. (I've got three years of planning in already. Don't be surprised that I've got a draft guest list. That's just the beginning.) If I know anything, and I think I do, I would say we can count on about 150 people showing up. Maybe. I hope. Most of the Ontario people won't/can't come. Then, some of the Island people won't come. So say 150, roughly.

Then we called A&G, who were very happy for us, obviously. We decided we would go out for dinner, when they got back from their trailer, and we got back from the movie.

So after the phone calls were made, we went to see The Chronicles of Riddick. Hell, he bought me a $2,000 ring. The least I could do was see the movie he wanted to see. :) And don't they always say that marriage is all about compromise? I think I could get used to this! :)

By the way, why does the appraisal say the ring's retail value is $6,100, when it only cost $2,000? I don't mean, "only." You know what I mean.

So we went to the movie, and then to the mall. The ring is about a size and a half too big, so we went to see how much it would cost and how long it would take to get it sized. Meanwhile, I was wearing my promise ring on the outside, so the new one wouldn't fall off. :) The lady at the store remembered us, even though she wasn't the one with whom we'd spoken before. Anyway, she said the goldsmith is in Tuesday night, Wednesday night and Thursday night and, if we brought it in on one of those days, he could have it done overnight. YAHOO! So The Boy will be home shortly, and we're going to take the ring there and drop it off. Which sucks. I hate the thought of being without it, if even for only one day. I'll get it back tomorrow night.

So. We went out for dinner with A&G to Montana's, and then to their house to see their new shed. Woohoo! Nice shed, but seriously! :) Just kidding. I can totally understand their excitement. I was just a little preoccupied. Anyway, A let us borrow his Weddings for Dummies book, and his Complete Idiot's Guide to Weddings cd. Should keep me busy for a while!

Which bring me to our first conflict as a betrothed couple: The date. He insists that we just got engaged, so we should relish in our new relationship before rushing into a new stage. Anyone who knows me knows how silly this is. Me? Take my time? Phut. Right.

But, again, any good relationship is built on compromise. The funny thing is that, when I came back to bed after I got up to pee at 3 a.m., he cuddled up to me and said, "I can't wait to marry you." And I said, "Yes you can. You want to wait." And he said, "No I don't. Whenever you want, baby." And I said, "How about August 27th, 2005?" And he said, "Sure baby, whatever you want. I can't wait to marry you baby."

I couldn't get back to sleep for an hour and a half.

When we woke up at 7:00, he totally denies having the conversation. Dammit.

He called me later though, when I was working, and apologized for kinda not wanting to talk weddings. Just said that he's been stressing for so long about it, and he wants to take a break for a bit. I totally understand, but it's hard to make him see that a wedding can't be planned in a month. Not the kind we want anyway. He says, "We don't have $10K for a wedding." I said, "We'll never have $10K for a wedding. Thankfully, weddings aren't paid for in one fell swoop!" LOL

So it will definitely be an uphill battle. That's cool though. I know he will continue to insist on a Halloween-themed wedding, and I will insist that August is the way to go, because then the visitors from Ontario will be able to see the Island at its best, instead of covered in a foot of snow. Plus all the tourist traps will still be open in August, but not in October. We have to remember that this will be a vacation for a lot of people. We have to make it enjoyable for them too! (As long as it gets us married in August at least!) He he he...

So I guess that's it for now. Maybe, since I started using the Hello photoblogging thing, I'll start posting pictures of things I want for the wedding, and get you to vote on what things you like and what things you don't like. That would be cool.

Then again, maybe I should start a different blog especially for the wedding, so then I can direct family and friends (and The Boy) to it. I think that's probably the best idea.

So, dear readers, we've turned a corner. I just hope that I don't turn into the bridezilla that I fear is itching to be unleashed. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home